Business owners looking to sell fireworks within the City of Marion, see the information below.
State of Iowa Fireworks License, application information
Effective May 9, 2017, Iowa legalized the sale and use of consumer-grade fireworks. City of Marion is requiring the attached application be submitted by businesses wishing to sell fireworks within the City limits.
Possession and Use of Fireworks
Per Chapter 41.13 of the Marion Code of Ordinances, it is unlawful for any person to possess, store, use, ignite or explode any fireworks not permitted by State law, within the City limits unless that person is the holder of a valid permit or license.
It is unlawful for any person to use, ignite or explode any fireworks except those items defined as a novelty in the American Pyrotechnics Association Standard 87-1 Chapter 3.2, within the City limits except for on the following dates and times:
- July 4th from 12:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- December 31st from 6:00 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. on January 1st
TO APPLY FOR OR RENEW A FIREWORKS RETAIL LICENSE:
1. Review the following:
- Chapter 41 of the Marion Code of Ordinances
- Chapter 164 of the Marion Code of Ordinances
- Fireworks Retail NFPA Handout
- A sample site plan and NFPA checklist can be viewed for more helpful information.
2. Complete application
3. Submit application with appropriate fee and any required documentation (listed on the application) to the City of Marion Finance/City Clerk’s Office at 1225 6th Avenue, Marion, IA 52302.
This process can take two to six weeks. Your application will be forwarded to the Building and Fire Departments to perform inspections. Once the inspections pass, the Planning and Police Departments will review the application. A license will be issued once all departments have approved. Upon approval, a license will be mailed to you at the mailing address listed on your application.
License will be Effective: June 1 – July 8 and December 10 – January 3 for Permanent Structures
June 13 – July 8 for Temporary Structures