Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Tents having an area in excess of 600 sq. ft. or canopies that are larger than 1000 sq. ft. in area require a permit for usage.  They must be temporary, which means that they will be used less then 180 days within a 12 month period on a single premises.  Structures whose dimensions are smaller than these limits do not require a permit.  



To obtain a permit, please complete the application and return it with necessary documentation to the City Clerk's Department.



Tents, tent-like structures, and canopies must comply with zoning regulations  in reference to property line setback and open yards even if a permit is not required.  This means that they may not be within 20 feet of property lines, buildings, parked vehicles, or internal combustion engines, or other temporary structures. The use of electricity, cooking equipment, or open flame may require further Electrical, Mechanical, and Fire Code review.  

Prepare and draw a site plan. The site plan should include the following:

  • All property lines
  • Lot dimensions
  • Existing buildings
  • Location of the temporary structure(s)
  • Distance to property lines and other buildings from temporary structures
  • Parking areas
  • Overhead power wires
  • Location of cooking equipment if applicable
  • Fire department access
  • Exit pathways from existing buildings
  • Adjoining streets and public ways (sidewalk, alley, etc.)
  • Temporary structure design type
  • Material used to construct temporary structure
  • Size of temporary structure
  • Flame retardant certification of temporary structure