Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Where is the police department located?
The Marion Police Department is located at 6315 Highway 151, Marion, IA 52302.

What hours is the department open?
The Marion Police Department and the Marion Public Safety Communications Center are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Records Office is open weekdays, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. The Administration is generally available weekdays, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

When should I call 911?
9-1-1 is reserved for emergencies only. When calling 9-1-1, stay on the line and try to remain calm with your information ready. It is a good idea to program the police departments non-emergency phone number into your cellular phone and home phone. The non-emergency number is 377-1511 and Marion Public Safety Communications Center employees are available to answer your call 24 hours a day.

How do I file a police report?
A police report can be made at the police department or you can call the police non-emergency number 377-1511 to arrange for an officer to meet with you.

What is the ride-along program and how do I schedule to ride with an officer?
A college student majoring in law enforcement or a student participating in a job shadow program may participate in a ride-along. These and all other requests are approved on a case by case basis. You may speak with an officer at the police department to determine if you are eligible and to fill out the necessary paperwork.

How do I hire officers for extra work (security)?
Call the police non-emergency phone number 377-1511 and ask to speak to the supervisor in charge of scheduling extra work assignments to discuss the type of event and rate of pay required.

Is it possible to have an officer scheduled to speak to a group or class?
To determine if an officer can be available for a public appearance, please contact us at 377-1511 and ask to speak to the supervisor in charge of public appearances inquiries.

What is the process for obtaining a permit to carry a concealed weapon?
Concealed weapon permits are issued through the Linn County Sheriffs Office 892-6100.

How do I obtain an alarm permit?
Homeowners do not need to obtain an alarm permit. The City of Marion licenses the alarm maintenance or monitoring company. They are responsible for obtaining a license through the City Clerk's Office.

How do I file a complaint against an employee of the police department?

If you have a serious complaint against the department or any of its employees, you are encouraged to make that complaint in person at the police department so you can speak to a supervisor. However, if you have all the required information you are welcome to use the form (under the Conduct page) and submit your information in that manner instead. Please know that we take complaints seriously and will investigate the incident thoroughly. 

The Complaint Control Form will ask you to provide the following information: your personal contact information; date, time and location of the incident as well as a brief description; the name(s) of the employee(s) involved in the incident and personal contact information for any witnesses.You may also upload any images that are relevant to the incident.  

During the investigation process, you may be contacted for additional information about the incident. Based upon the findings of the investigation, a policy or procedure may be reviewed or changed, or an employee disciplined. The Marion Police Department will notify you of any action taken, although not the specific nature of disciplinary action.

How to I contact other area law enforcement agencies?

Linn County Sheriff's Office              892-6100
Linn County Jail                                  892-6300
Cedar Rapids Police Department    286-5491
Iowa State Patrol                                396-4414  

How do obtain a copy of a police report?

You may call the Records Office at 200-7714 or stop by the police department on weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Accident reports can be obtained online via Lexis Nexis. 

Support assistance for citizens who are having issues purchasing a crash report should all go to 1-866-215-2771.

Lexis Nexis link

The minimum cost for a report is $5.00. Reports cannot be faxed or emailed. If you would like a different type of report mailed to you, send a letter requesting the report along with a $5 check made payable to the Marion Police Department and include a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Records Office, Marion Police Department, 6315 Highway 151, Marion, IA 52302. It is helpful if you are able to provide a case number, date of incident and names of those individuals involved with your request.  

What information will I receive?
You will receive a Public Release which lists the victim(s), offenders(s), if arrested, date and time the offense occurred, the location, as well as any property that may have been stolen or damaged. If you are a party to an accident, you will receive the accident report. This report contains driver and insurance information, any citations issued, witness names, if any, a diagram of the accident scene and a narrative written by the officer investigating the accident.

How can my attorney obtain more information?
A subpoena requesting the report in its entirety is required. There is a fee for the copying of the report which may exceed the minimum of $5.00.  If any photos or videos exist, there is a duplication fee for those as well. Please contact the Records Office at 200-7714 for further questions.

How do I get fingerprints taken?
The Marion Police Department does fingerprinting on Thursdays of each week, between the hours of 9am-1pm. The cost is $10.00 for up to two fingerprint cards and $5.00 for each additional card. Please note you must provide the fingerprint card(s).

How do I register a bicycle?
If a bicycle is registered, all the pertinent information will be readily available to us if the bicycle is found or reported stolen. To register a bicycle, you can stop by the police department at any time. The cost is $1 per bicycle. If the bicycle is new, it will be helpful for you to bring the receipt showing where the bicycle was purchased and for what price. If it is a used bicycle, you may need to bring the bicycle with you so an officer can verify the serial number. The following information will need to be provided: Owners name, address and phone number Brand and model name Serial number Color Wheel size Style of bike (boys or girls. You can also fill out a registration online on this website as well. 

How do I obtain proof that I do not have a criminal record?
You may stop by the Records Office on weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. and a letter will be prepared at no charge stating what information was found, if any, such as a traffic citation or an arrest. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK WILL ONLY REFLECT MARION POLICE DEPARTMENT RECORDS. To obtain state-wide records, you should contact the State of Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation at 515-281-4776.

How do I find out if there is a warrant out for my arrest?
You may inquire about a warrant for your arrest by going to any law enforcement agency. You must have a photo ID with you.

Who do I call to ask about someone that has been arrested?
Information about people in jail can be obtained by calling the Linn County Jail at 892-6300. This facility is operated by the Linn County Sheriffs Office.

Where do I obtain a no-contact order?
The Marion Police Department does not issue no-contact orders or protective orders. Instructions on how to acquire these orders can be obtained through the Linn County Clerk of Court office located at the courthouse building at Third Avenue Bridge, Cedar Rapids, IA, 52406.


What should I do if I am involved in a motor vehicle accident?
If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident you should report it to the police immediately by calling the police non-emergency phone number 377-1511. If it is safe to do so, it is best to leave your car where the accident happened. If there are injuries, call or have someone call 9-1-1. The officer will need the following information to complete the report: drivers license, registration, and proof of insurance. I was involved in a traffic accident and left the scene.

Can I still make a report?
You may still file the report. If the accident involved another vehicle, the information from you and the other party will be needed to complete the report.

How can I report a road rage incident?
You may call 9-1-1 from your cellular phone if this is actively occurring. Helpful information would be a license plate number, vehicle description, driver description and direction of travel.

Who do I call to report a drunk driver?
You may call 9-1-1 from your cellular phone if this is actively occurring. Helpful information would be a license plate number, vehicle description, driver description and direction of travel.

Where do I pay a traffic citation?
Traffic citations may be paid at the Linn County Clerk of Court office which is located at the courthouse building at Third Avenue Bridge, Cedar Rapids, IA, 52401 or mailed to the Iowa District Court at Post Office Box 1090, Cedar Rapids, IA 52406-1090. Checks should be made payable to the Clerk of Court.

Where can I obtain a handicapped placard?
The paperwork to obtain a handicapped placard can be picked up at the Iowa Department of Transportation Driver’s License Office.

I received a parking ticket, where do I pay it?
Parking tickets can be mailed or paid at the police department, 6315 Highway 151, Marion, IA 52302.

I think I may have an unpaid parking ticket, how do I find out?
You may call the police non-emergency phone number 377-1511 to inquire about an unpaid parking ticket.

Can I have someone check my child seat to see if it is in correctly?
Yes, please call the police non-emergency phone number 377-1511 to set up a time to discuss child seat concerns with a specially trained officer.  


Who do I call to complain about a property that is not taken care of?
If the complaint is on junk or abandoned vehicles, you may call the police non-emergency phone number 377-1511. All other property complaints can be directed to City Hall 743-6300.

What can I do to keep someone from parking in front of my residence?
You may call the non-emergency phone number 377-1511 and an officer will help you determine if the owner is in violation of a city ordinance.

My neighbor has a dog that will not quit barking, what should I do?
Call the non-emergency phone number 377-1511 to have an officer meet with you to discuss enforcement.

Who do I call if there is an animal loose in my neighborhood?
At-large domesticated animals are a concern and will be handled through the police department who contracts with the Cedar Rapids Animal Control. Sick or wild animals may be destroyed at a responding officer’s discretion.

My neighbor plays loud music in the evening, what can I do?
Call the non-emergency phone number 377-1511 to have an officer meet with you to discuss the city ordinance pertaining to this and further enforcement actions.

What fireworks are legal within the city limits of Marion?
Only those items that may be purchased in the state of Iowa are legal to possess, i.e. sparklers and snakes. Fireworks are illegal to possess or ignite within the city limits of Marion unless you have obtained a valid fireworks permit which can be obtained at City Hall, 1225 6th Avenue, Marion, IA 52302. Please call 743-6300 should you have questions regarding this issue.

Who do I call about junk or abandoned vehicles?
Please call the non-emergency phone number 377-1511 to report junk or abandoned vehicles.

Does Marion have a curfew ordinance?
Curfew hours are between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. for persons under the age of 16.


I would like to obtain a list of all registered sex offenders living in Marion. How do I obtain such a list? Can I obtain a photo of a registered sex offender?
You can search the offender database at

How can I find out which officer or detective is handling my case?
You may call the non-emergency phone number 377-1511 to inquire who you should speak to about your case.


What is the Mission Statement of the Marion Police Department?
The mission of the Marion Police Department is to effectively use resources to respond, investigate and prevent crime in order to enhance the quality of life and strengthen economic prosperity for our community.

What is the Vision Statement of the Marion Police Department?
Marion Police Department is a metro leader among area law enforcement agencies by growing with excellence through an emphasis on employee development and strategic, collaborative partnerships with their community, other city departments and other law enforcement agencies.

How many employees does the Marion Police Department have?
The Marion Police Department employs 47 sworn and 6 civilian employees at this time. The agency consists of the following bureaus: patrol, investigations and administration. 

What kind of special assignments does the Marion Police Department offer for police officers?
Within the patrol and investigations divisions there are many specialty assignments including Narcotics Task Force, Hostage Negotiators, a K9 unit, D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse and Resistance Education), S.R.O. (School Resource Officer), Field Training Program, Traffic Reconstruction, Forensics, Computer Forensics, Crime Scene Investigators as well as the Bomb and Arson Investigators. We also have a tactical team called SRT (Special Response Team).

Who does the Marion Public Safety Communications Center dispatch calls for service for?
The Marion Public Safety Communications Center dispatches calls for service for the police and fire departments.

Does the Marion Police Department publicly advertise job openings?
Yes, job openings are advertised on the city website and various online sites including area colleges. Complete application information is available on this website on the employment page.

What does it take to become a law enforcement officer in the state of Iowa?

Find answers at the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy website  

What are the general requirements for becoming a police officer with the Marion Police Department?
The City of Marion seeks quality candidates for the position of police officer.  Officer candidates are sent to the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy for professional training. After graduation, an officer must successfully complete a field training program; working on various shifts while being evaluated on all aspects of police work. Marion Police Department officers must reside within a radius of 10 miles measured from the residence to the employee's departmental headquarters (or is within 30 minutes driving time as per an approved on-line mapping service such as, but not limited to, Google Maps or Mapquest) as determined by the department head.  Upon hire, officers much purchase a firearm that is pre-approved by the department. Candidates must: be a citizen of the U.S. and a resident of Iowa or intend to become a resident upon employment; be at least 18 years of age at the time of appointment; have a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Iowa upon employment; not be addicted to or abuse alcohol or illegal drugs; be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation; not have been convicted of a felony or any crime involving moral turpitude not, by reason of conscience or belief, be opposed to the use of force, including taking a life if necessary to fulfill job duties; be a high school graduate with a diploma or possess a G.E.D. equivalency certificate; have uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in both eyes, corrected to 20/20 and normal color vision; have normal hearing in each ear; upon job offer, candidate will be examined by a licensed physician and meet the physical requirements necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of a law enforcement officer.

Why is fitness important as a job related element for law enforcement officers?
It has been well documented that law enforcement personnel, (as an occupational class), have serious health risk problems in terms of cardiovascular disease, lower back disorders and obesity. Law enforcement agencies have the responsibility of minimizing known risk.  Physical fitness is a health domain which can minimize the “known” health risk for law enforcement officers. Job analysis that account for physical fitness have demonstrated that the fitness areas are underlying factors determining the physiological readiness to perform a variety of critical physical tasks. These three fitness areas have also been shown to be predictive of job performance ratings, sick time and number of commendations of police officers.  Data also shows that fitness level is predictive of trainability and academy performance. Physical fitness can be an important area for minimizing liability. The unfit officer is less able to respond fully to strenuous physical activity.  Consequently, the risk of not performing physical duties is increased.

What are the physical standards?
The actual performance requirement for each test is based on the norms from a national population sample. The applicant must pass every test. The required performance to pass each test is based upon sex and age, (decade). The absolute performance is different for the eight categories; the relative level of effort is identical for each age and sex group.  All recruits are being required to meet the same percentile rank in terms of their respective age/sex group.  The performance requirement is that level of physical performance that approximates the 40th percentile for each age and sex group.