Swimming Pool Safety
Swimming pools are quite often overlooked by residents when it comes to permits being required. Whether it is an in-ground or above-ground swimming pool, a permit is required for the installation of the pool itself, and the installation of the electrical. Two possible things that can happen when it comes to swimming pools and spas are drowning and accidental electrocution. The City of Marion has adopted the 2015 Swimming Pool and Spa Code to help make your pool safer. This will not only protect you and your family, but also protect your friends and neighbors. If you already have a pool or are thinking about one this is a must read article. (Swimming Pool Safety at Home)
Why do I need a permit?Quite often the Building Department gets the "Why do I need a permit" or "Who needs building codes". question. Permits benefit more than just the homeowner, although that is who benefits most. This attachment will take you to an article on "Who needs building codes" Also you can review "When are building permits required?" If you are still not sure if you need a permit please feel free to contact Building Services.
Do I need a permit to install a water heater?
Water heaters can be a very dangerous appliance when not installed correctly. Here is an article on "Why permits are required for water heaters" and below is a YouTube video on water heater explosions.
- State of Iowa Electrical - http://www.dps.state.ia.us/fm/electrician/
- State of Iowa Plumbing - http://www.idph.state.ia.us/PMSB/
- State of Iowa Mechanical - http://www.idph.state.ia.us/PMSB/
- Iowa State Fire Marshall - http://www.dps.state.ia.us/fm/
- Workforce Development - http://www.iowaworkforce.org/labor
- International Code Council - http://www.iccsafe.org