New Marion YMCA/Community Fitness Center
The YMCA Community Fitness Center (Functions & Fitness) project is the largest project to come out of the Imagine8 community visioning process started in 2009. It would be built as a partnership between the City and YMCA as a full-service recreation center featuring aquatics education and therapy space for both the Y and the City of Marion Parks and Recreation Department.
The property was recently purchased by the YMCA in November of 2018, and the facility will be owned and operated by the Cedar Rapids Metro Area YMCA but will operate alongside Marion Parks and Rec programming. Decisions regarding building schedules, fees, etc. will rest with the Advisory Committee made up of both YMCA and City of Marion representatives. The City of Marion will be a facility partner, allowing special access and dedicated use of the facility at mutually agreed upon times.
75,000 SQ FT building, with a total construction cost of $20.3 million
WHY IT’S IMPORTANT:
This unique partnership will meet the needs of the community at lower overall costs to each partner than having each try to do a project on their own. The multipurpose facility is designed as a community center to meet recreational, wellness and social needs of residents in Marion and surrounding communities.
- City of Marion has committed up to $7.3 million, including $2 million in local option sales tax (LOST) funding
- The project currently has a $2 million local community fundraising goal
- It has been supported by more than 160 businesses and individuals
- Capital Campaign Committee Formed
- OPN named architectural partner
- Knutson Construction named General Contractor
- Final location of the site identified and acquired by the YMCA on the corner of Tower Terrace Road and Irish Drive
- Marion City Council approved additional $800,000 commitment to the project and a Fiscal Year 2020 lump sum payment of the remaining $5.5 million contribution
- A joint operations agreement was approved between the City of Marion and the YMCA
- Construction Design Completed
- Construction set to begin early Fall of 2019
- Groundbreaking Ceremony tentatively planned for Fall of 2019
- Opening date TBD
City of Marion
Lon Pluckhahn, City Manager
YMCA of the Cedar Rapids Metropolitan Area
Bob Carlson,President & CEO
ph. 319.366.6421 x100