In 2014, Genesis Equities presented a proposal to the City of Marion for a public-private and the sale of the airport’s runway and fixed-base operations building to the city. This unique proposal allows for the City to own the public use airport and apply for improvement funding available to communities through the Iowa DOT. The operations of the airport, its charter services, flight training, fuel sales, and maintenance operations will remain private.
WHY IT’S IMPORTANT:
The Marion Airport improvements will encourage continued private investment in the city’s commercial and industrial developments and will provide opportunity for significant positive economic impacts through Marion and the surrounding areas. An enhanced airport will be a driver for business investment in the adjoining commerce parks. Acquisition of the airport also opened the door for the development of 66 acres of commercial ground east of the site.
In 2016 the Mayor and City Council appointed an ad-hoc Airport Advisory Board to assist the city with the creation of a permanent airport governing board. This committee has 11 members of varying backgrounds, and is steering Marion through the creation of the first comprehensive Airport Layout Plan. The advisory board will also make a recommendation to the City Council for the composition of the permanent airport governing board, with the report expected in early 2017.
City, DOT, private
- DOT grant application is submitted and under review
- Construction of new maintenance hangar/fixed base operator building
- Resurface and widen existing runway
- Complete airport development and layout plan
- Update city zoning ordinances to reflect and protect airport
- DOT funding award (potential) - July 2015
- Update zoning ordinance -January 2017 - August 2017
- Complete airport layout plan - August 2016-February 2017
- Resurface and widen existing runway - 2018
- Construct new maintenance hangar and FBO - Completed
City of Marion
Lon Pluckhahn, City Manager
ph. (319) 743-6301
*information accurate at time of posting, details are subject to change