City of Marion Announces Changes to Spring/Summer Event Line-Up
With continued uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, Marion community leaders are announcing changes to the spring and summer event line-up.
“Unfortunately, given our current reality, we know that 2020 will be far from normal,” said Marion Mayor Nicolas AbouAssaly. “After careful consideration and consultation with event organizers and sponsors, we have made the collective decision to cancel the free community concerts, events and movie nights originally planned for our outdoor public venues through early-July.”
The safety of attendees and employees, and uncertainty surrounding group size limits in the coming months were key factors in this decision.
Event organizers continue to explore reasonable alternatives.
City staff remain hopeful that smaller scale events like performances in the Uptown Artway, Messy Art Days and the Tiny Fair series will be able to continue in some capacity later this summer as restrictions are lifted.
Planning efforts are in full swing for open-air events where proper social distancing can be achieved. A modified version of the Marion Farmers’ Market at Taube Park is expected to resume on Saturday, May 16. The Uptown Marion Market is expected to continue at the intersection of 6th Avenue in Uptown Marion on the second Saturday of the month in June, July and August. Additionally, Sunrise Yoga is expected to take place every Saturday, June through August, at the Klopfenstein Amphitheater at Lowe Park.
Impacted events include:
- May 29 - Moonlit Movie Night presented by GreenState Credit Union
- Thursdays in June - Marion by Moonlight concert series presented by Farmers State Bank
- June 9, 30 - Marion Community Band concerts
- June 13 - Music Under the Moon concert presented by Veridian Credit Union
- June 14 - Messy Art Day
- June 20 - Tiny Fair presented by Hills Bank
- June 20 - Picnic on the Prairie concert presented by Marion Arts Council
- July 3 - Fireworks & Fireflies event presented by Hanna Plumbing & Heating
- Thursdays in July - Marion Big Band concert series