First COVID-19 Death Confirmed in Linn County
Linn County Public Health (LCPH) has been notified of the first death associated with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Linn County. The 61-80 year old male had underlying health conditions.
“We extend our deepest sympathies to the family and friends who are grieving, and remind everyone to continue to take the necessary steps to minimize your exposure to COVID-19,” urged Pramod Dwivedi, LCPH health director. “Our top priority continues to be protecting the health of our community. All of us must do our part to stop the spread of this novel coronavirus, by staying at home as much as possible, and by practicing good social distancing.”
LCPH asks that residents help to support individuals and families affected by COVID-19, as well as the larger community, by following recommendations offered by health care providers and public health officials.
Sick Iowans must stay home and isolate themselves from others in their house. If you think you may have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, you should self-isolate for 14 days. If, during that time, you develop symptoms of COVID-19, you should call your healthcare provider before going to the office. Symptoms of COVID-19 include:
- Shortness of breath
All residents must take action now to help stop the spread of COVID-19 by:
- Practicing social distancing and avoid handshakes. Maintain a distance of at least 6 feet between yourself and other people, and avoid gatherings of more than 10 people, to help slow the spread of COIVD-19.
- Visiting the grocery store or pharmacy during slow hours, where the number of people are reduced, and limiting non-essential shopping.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; if soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick. If you need to see a health care provider, call first.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
As COVID-19 continues to impact individuals and communities, it is important to take care of your mental health. Visit the Linn Area Partners Active In Disasters (LAP AID) webpage to find local mental health resources.
For up-to-date information on COVID-19, visit:
- Linn County Public Health website: www.linncounty.org/covid19
- Iowa Department of Public Health website: www.idph.iowa.gov/Emerging-Health-Issues/Novel-Coronavirus
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html