Nine Marion Streets Approved for Asphalt Overlay in 2015
Each year, a portion of the Marion Engineering Department’s annual work program includes a number of asphalt overlay projects throughout the city. The streets selected are those that appear to be in most need of repair and present a benefit to the greatest number of drivers.
In 2014, the City contracted with Marion-based L. L. Pelling Co. to resurface five streets, including portions of West 8th Avenue, Daleview Drive, Grand Avenue, Highview Drive and South 15th Street. The project was completed on time and within budget, and allowed for South 12th Street from F Avenue to Grand Avenue to also be resurfaced.
On March 5, Marion City Council approved the following streets to be resurfaced as part of the 2015, $1 million, asphalt overlay project:
- West 9th Avenue from Lindale Drive to Linnview Drive
- 4th Avenue from 22nd Street to 26th Street
- Brockman Avenue from 14th Street to 24th Street
- Linnview Drive from Alpine Road to 14th Avenue
- 8th Avenue from 2nd Street to 6th Street
- 9th Avenue from 9th Street to 10th Street
- 10th Avenue from 6th Street to 7th Street
- 1st Avenue from 27th Street to 31st Street
- 7th Avenue from 31st Street to 35th Street
Work is expected to occur mid-summer and take several weeks. Adjacent property owners will receive notification once a schedule has been established. Access to properties will be maintained for most work periods.
A contract for the work is expected to be awarded in May.