Hotel/Motel Grant Funds Awarded to 14 Area Organizations
At the July 10 Marion City Council meeting, $155,568 in hotel/motel grant funding was awarded to 14 area organizations.
The funding source for these grants was the 7 percent room tax collected on overnight stays at hotels and motels within the city. Special consideration was given to projects that bring visitors to Marion and generate overnight hotel stays.
City staff, City Council representatives, hotel managers and residents reviewed the applications and submitted the funding recommendation to the Council.
Those awarded funding in FY 2014-2015 include:
- Cedar Rapids Area CVB: Tourism Marketing Program
- Equine Events: Carriage Glow
- Historic Preservation Commission: Promotion of Local Historic Resources
- Linn Area Mountain Bike Association: Red Cedar Trail
- Marion Arts Festival: 2015
- Marion Chamber of Commerce: Tourism & Community Development
- Marion-East Cedar Rapids Rotary: Marathon for Shoes
- Marion Heritage Center
- Marion Historical Society: Granger House Museum
- Marion Metro Kiwanis: BBQ Rendezvous
- Orchestra Iowa: 93rd Performing Arts Season
- Red Cedar Chamber Music: Silent Film and Chamber Music for Marion
- Swamp Fox Festival: 2014
- Uptown Marion, an Iowa Main Street District: Annual Promotions Program