The City of Marion has three (3) Historic Districts recognized by the National Register of Historic Places. The City places no architectural or design restrictions on properties within the boundaries of the individual historic districts beyond those found within the Marion Zoning Regulations. All properties within the boundaries are subject to the Historic Structure Preservation Ordinance that requires the Historic Preservation Commission review and recommendation to the City Council regarding demolition of any structure within a district.
Uptown Commercial Historic District
Nominated in 2009 the Marion Downtown Commercial Historic District is the newest addition to the National Register of Historic Places, approved in late 2009. It includes the west side of 10th Street from 6th Avenue to 9th Avenue and the north side of 7th Avenue from 10th Street to 12th Street. This does include City Square Park.
The Uptown Commercial Historic District has two properties listed individually on the National Register of Historic Places:
- Former Carnegie Library (1298 7th Avenue)
- First United Methodist Church (1277 12th Street)
Terrace Park Historic District
Pucker Street Historic District
- James & Ida Bowman House (1372 8th Avenue) - Built in 1909 and designed by a well-known Cedar Rapids architectural firm, Dieman and Fisk.
- Samuel M. Lane House (1776 8th Avenue) - Built in 1868 and an example of Late Victorian / Italianate architecture.
- Glen & Lucy Pyle House (1540 8th Avenue) - Built in 1924 and is a classic Bungalow / Craftsman design with a stucco exterior finish.