The 2017 Swamp Fox Festival Committee along with The Marion Times are pleased to announce an essay contest as part of this year’s festival. Four winning essays will be chosen with each receiving a cash prize and his or her essay published in the Sept. 28 edition of The Marion Times.
Theme: Marion History – Then and Now
Imagine it’s 1940 and you’re at the corner of 7th Avenue and 10th Street. What does the street look like? What shops and businesses are open? Tell us a little history about your favorite building or location in Marion. What used to be there? What is it now? How has our community changed over the years?
The winning essay in each category below will receive a cash prize and his or her essay printed in the September 28 edition of The Marion Times.
- Grades 3-5: $25
- Grades 6-8: $50
- Grades 9-12: $75
- Adult entries: $100
The contest rules and eligibility requirements for participants are as follows:
- Must live in Marion or attend school in Marion
- Essay Form must be complete
- All essays must be handwritten, or in a word doc format or submitted online via the form below
- The number of words must be listed on the essay. Length should be as follows
- Grades 3-5: 150-200 words
- Grades 6-8: 250-350 words
- Grades 9-12: 400-500 words
- Adult entries: no more than 500 words
- Only one entry per person
- Essays will be judged on the following criteria:
- Follows the theme
- Basic grammar, spelling and writing skills
All entries must be received by noon on Sept. 15, 2017.
Submit to: City of Marion, c/o Swamp Fox Essay, 1225 6th Ave, Marion, IA 52302
Email or submit online via the form below