The Marion Parks and Recreation Department works to enrich Marion and the lives of our residents and surrounding communities by providing a wide-range of recreational and educational opportunities for people of all ages that encourage healthy, active lifestyles and life-long learning.
Our vision is that every person enjoys unlimited access to high quality recreational programs and parks that enhance, preserve and protect the environment.
In 2016, the Marion City Council and Marion Park Board adopted a Marion Parks and Recreation Master Plan to guide the next ten years for parks, recreation, and aquatic development.
With a goal to be the healthiest city in the state and a vision to be the best place in Iowa to raise a family, the City of Marion has made the commitment to smoke-free, nicotine-free and tobacco-free parks and trails. Smoking or the use of tobacco, nicotine products, and vaporizers will not be allowed in City parks or trails.
Parks Administrative & Operations Offices:
343 Marion Boulevard | 319-447-3580
Mike Carolan, Parks & Recreation Director
Lowe Park Arts and Environment Center
4500 N Tenth Street | 319-447-3590
Karlene Hummel, Recreation & Aquatics Coordinator
7 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Friday
Operations and administrative offices are based at Thomas Park. Recreation programming is based at Lowe Park.
Questions pertaining to the following can be directed to Lowe Park at 319-447-3590:
• Recreation Programing
• Marion Municipal Swimming Pool & Swim Lessons
• Lowe Park Arts & Environment Center Rentals
• Park Pavilion Rentals
• Community Gardens
• Farmer's Market
• Klopfenstein Amphitheater for the Performing Arts
All other inquiries or requests should be directed to the administrative offices at Thomas Park at 319-447-3580.
• Cemetery or Burial Information
• Weed and Snow Complaints
• Pavilion and Safe Room Rentals
• Memorial Tree Program
• Right of Way Tree Issues
For your convenience, secure drop boxes are installed near the facility entrances at both Thomas and Lowe Park for anyone wanting to drop off registration forms with payment after hours.
Our 2018 Guide to All Things Parks and Recreation is here! This handy resource contains information on recreation programs, parks, facility rentals, cemetery operations, Marion Arts Council, staff contact information, and much more.
There are many ways to stay up-to-date on the latest parks and recreation news, programs, events & more
1. City Website―www.cityofmarion.org
2. Facebook―Marion Parks and Recreation Department
3. Monthly E-newsletters―Contact the Parks and Recreation office at 447-3590 to be added to the distribution list and receive our monthly e-newsletter.
4. Phone―Call us at Lowe Park, 447-3590 or Call us at Thomas Park, 447-3580
5. Visit Us―At Lowe Park, 4500 N 10th Street or At Thomas Park, 343 Marion Boulevard