NATURE OF WORKThis is a position within the municipal fire department that is utilized by request and paid at an hourly rate when appropriate. The paid-on-call firefighter trains for and participates in activities that protect life and property via skilled firefighting and rescue operations. Work often includes performing strenuous, hazardous tasks during emergency situations. Additional time is spent training and studying modern firefighting techniques. Direction and supervision is received from ranking officers.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
• Responds to fire alarms; may drive fire apparatus and auxiliary equipment; lays and connects hose; holds nozzles and directs fog or water streams; raises and climbs ladders; uses fire extinguishers, bars, hooks, lines and other equipment.
• Ventilates burning buildings by opening windows, cutting holes in roofs and floors, or by mechanical means. Performs salvage operations such as throwing salvage covers, sweeping water, and removing debris.
• Removes persons from danger and administers first aid when necessary.
• Attends Marion Fire Fighters Association training and business meetings. Attends other off-site training courses when able.
• Assists the duty crew in post-fire equipment clean up and re-loading.
• Performs related work as required.