Per Chapter 123 or the Code of Iowa, and Chapter 120 of the Marion Code of Ordinances, no person shall manufacture for sale, import, sell, or offer or keep for sale, alcoholic liquor, wine, or beer without first securing a liquor control license, wine permit or beer permit. The State of Iowa issues the license and all specific license questions should be directed to the State of Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division at 1-866-469-2223.
To Apply (New License):
- Beer/Liquor License applications are completed online at the State of Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division (ABD) website.
- Turn in the following forms to the City Clerk’s
Office at 1225 6th Avenue, Marion, IA 52302
- Notarized Signature Form
- State of Iowa Criminal History Record Check Request Form. One form is needed for each owner. The fee for the background check is $17.00 per person. Please make check payable to the City of Marion.
- A copy of your lease agreement or proof of ownership.
- Drawing of your premises showing the size of area, restrooms, cooler area, and outdoor service area, if any.
- Contact the Fire Department at 319-377-8237 to schedule an inspection.
- Contact the Linn County Health Department to apply for a health permit and schedule a health inspection.
- Contact your insurance agent and have him/her update or endorse your dram shop insurance on the Iowa ABD website.
After all documents have been submitted and background checks and inspections have been completed, your liquor license will be placed on the city council agenda for approval. Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month.
Once the license has been approved by council, the City Clerk’s Office will approve it on the Iowa ABD website. The Iowa ABD will review the application and issue the license at the State level. After approval, the State will email the license to the applicant. It is the responsibility of the applicant to print the license and post it at the place of business.
The State of Iowa will send notice 70 days prior to expiration that your license will need renewed. The City will mail a similar notice within 60 days of expiration. Applications can be renewed online at the State of Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division (ABD) website.