The purpose of the commission is to ensure fair practices in the appointment, promotion, termination, or demotion to or from a Civil Service position. In doing so, the commission oversees entry-level and promotional written tests, physical tests, and oral interviews regarding Civil Service Positions.
CIVIL SERVICE POSITIONS DEFINED:
All permanent full-time employees, except the following:
- Persons appointed to fill vacancies in elective offices and members of boards and commissions and the Clerk to the Civil Service Commission
- The City Clerk, Chief Deputy City Clerk, City Attorneys, City Treasurer, City Assessor, City Auditor, professional City Engineers licensed in Iowa and City Health Officer
- The City Manager and Assistant City Managers
- The head and principal assistant of each department and the head of each division, excepting assistant fire and police chiefs. However, the Civil Service Commission is responsible for holding entrance examinations for Police Chief and Fire Chief
- The principal secretary to the City manager, the principal secretary to the Mayor and the principal secretary to each of the department heads
- Employees of board of trustees or commissions established pursuant to state law or city ordinance
- Employees whose positions are funded by state or federal grants or other temporary revenues
ABOUT THE COMMISSION:
The Marion Civil Service Commission is comprised of three members appointed by the mayor. Each member must be a resident of Marion and serves a four year term without compensation.
Lianne Cairy, Clerk of Commission
Designated by City Clerk, Wesley Nelson
CURRENT COMMISSION MEMBERS:
| Grant Hagen
| Sharon Mettler
Regular meetings are normally held at City Hall on the first Tuesday of each month at 8:30 a.m., unless changed by the commission.
AGENDAS & MINUTES: