New YMCA/Community Fitness Center
The YMCA Community Fitness Center (Functions & Fitness) project is the largest project to come out of the Imagine8 community visioning process started in 2009. It would be built as a partnership between the City and YMCA as a full-service recreation center featuring aquatics education and therapy space.
The property and facility will be owned and operated by the Cedar Rapids Metro Area YMCA. Decisions regarding building schedules, fees, membership rates will rest with the Cedar Rapids Metro Area YMCA. The City of Marion will be a facility partner, allowing special access and dedicated use of the facility at mutually agreed upon times.
90,000 SQ FT building, proposed $18.5 million project
WHY IT’S IMPORTANT:
This unique partnership will meet the needs of the community at lower overall costs to each partner than having each try to do a project on their own.
- City of Marion has committed up to $6.5 million, including $2 million in local option sales tax (LOST) funding
- The project has a $10 million local fundraising goal
- Intend to seek $2.5 million in state funding
- Site Identified off Tower Terrace Road
- Preliminary Design Complete
- Capital Campaign Committee Formed
- Groundbreaking TBD
- Opening date TBD
City of Marion
Lon Pluckhahn, City Manager
Cedar Rapids Metro YMCA
Bob Carlson,President & CEO
ph. 319.366.6421 x100
*information accurate at time of posting, details are subject to change – last updated 7.18.16