Bike Marion May 13-17
Every year the League of American Bicyclists designates May as National Bike Month and the third week in May as National Bike to Work Week.
“As Marion’s trail system expands and connectivity improves throughout the region, we see this week as an opportunity to promote a bike-friendly culture,” said Kesha Billings, associate planner for the City of Marion.
Marion’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee has planned a number of Bike Marion activities. All ages and skill levels are invited to join any and all of the rides.
- Tuesday, May 14
- 7:30 a.m. – Bike to Work Week kick-off ride followed by a mayoral proclamation; Thomas Park to City Square Park (food/refreshments to follow courtesy of Marion Hy-Vee)
- Wednesday, May 15
- 7-9 a.m. – Morning Commute Pit Stop at Lindale Trail and Lindale Drive
- 6 p.m. – Ride of Silence, an 8-mile ride starting and ending at City Square Park to honor and pay respect to those who have been injured or killed while cycling on public roadways
- Thursday, May 16
- 6 p.m. – Pedal Marion Ride, beginning and ending at City Square Park, followed by a Helmets and Hops after party in the Uptown Artway
- Friday, May 17
- 7:30 a.m. – National Bike to Work Day Ride; Butterfield Park to City Square Park (food/refreshments to follow courtesy of Marion Hy-Vee)