Opportunities for Seniors to be Active in Marion
Staying active and socially engaged is important as we age. Active aging is about more than physical activity, it also means being involved in your community and making healthy lifestyle choices.
Are you over 60 years of age an interested in learning how to become more active and socially connected to your community? Here are a few opportunities:
- Attend the Senior Connections Lunch and Learn series at Lowe Park the first Thursday of the month to get the latest updates on programs, activities and services that support seniors in Marion. Lunch is offered for $4 or simply bring your own brown bag lunch. To reserve a lunch, simply call Summit Pointe at 319-730-8271 no later than the Monday prior to the event.
- Attend Witwer Healthy Aging programs at Lowe Park. Witwer provides active lifestyle programs that support and nurture the strengths of older adults by enabling them to maximize their well-being. The following programs are currently offered:
- Dances – Mondays from 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- 500 cards – Wednesdays from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Bingo – Thursdays from 9:30 - 11:15 a.m.
- Witwer/Summit Pointe Luncheons the 1st & 3rd Thursdays of the month from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Pinochle – Fridays from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Line Dancing – Wednesdays from 1 – 2:30 p.m.
- Fresh Conversations – 3rd Thursdays of the month from 11:45 a.m. - 12: 15 p.m.
- Share your ideas with the Senior Connections group. Senior Connections is a Marion team that wants to help seniors reach an unequaled quality of life in our community. All are welcome to attend the meetings, which are held every other month at Marion City Hall. The next meeting will be Monday, Oct. 9 at 8:30 a.m. at City Hall. In August, some active seniors attended to express interest in starting communication for the 60+ age group.
For more information about Witwer Healthy Aging programs in Marion visit www.cityofmarion.org/senioractivities or contact Jo Haddad at 398-3644.